In various ways, smart tools like security cameras and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We have the ability to get alerts if a stranger arrives at our front door, and we can have footage delivered to us when dubious activity is detected. Having components we may interact with over the internet warns us of potential hazards instantaneously. But there is one main drawback. The access that benefits us is also opening a door hackers.
Although you shouldn’t get yourself in a panic agonizing over smart home hacking in St. Louis, you ought to be cognizant of the risk involved and take action to circumvent it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
Practically anything may be linked to the internet today - your home security sensors, light bulbs, and even your range. The issue is that this produces more opportunities for cyber criminals to break into your network. With that being said, you don’t have to avoid wireless home defense systems or other smart components. Rather, consider these recommendations and do what you can to keep prowlers off your network.
- Protect with hard-to-guess passwords: This is a must for any account, especially your home’s wireless network. Use uppercase and lowercase and an assortment of letters, numbers, and acceptable special characters. Stay away from birth dates, street names, or anything else hackers might easily figure out. A password fabricator will supply you with something completely random and password management software will help you track your many passwords and accounts.
- Change default settings: When hooking up your new router, it will probably come with a preprogrammed password to help you get started. Adjust it immediately. Hackers will know these default passwords as well. Establishing your Wi-Fi network and new router properly from day one is vital in maintaining your security.
- Consider a separate network: Why include your smart fridge, your home security components, and your work laptop on a single network? The majority of routers allow you to set up a distinct guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard personal material found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Add protection with a firewall: Firewalls aren’t just for business settings. They can also be incorporated into your home network. Firewalls are able to pay close attention to the traffic on your network and stop suspicious activity. You can start with a router with an incorporated firewall.
- Use the latest encryption settings and security protocols: If you have a new router, you might have the chance to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If not, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You should find home security devices that protect with 128-bit encryption or higher.
- Make sure firmware and software is up-to-date: Keep your operating systems on the most recent version for all devices, including your connected camera surveillance. Frequently, these updates will fix known issues and tighten up your security.
Beware of Cheap Smart Home Devices In St. Louis
When you work with a respected company like ADT, you’ll find that any security vulnerabilities in surveillance systems or other devices are managed in a prompt and expert fashion. Other lesser-known options might not be so conscientious. Purchasing your smart thermostat, video doorbell, surveillance system, and other items from a lone source like ADT is a wise choice. And deciding to have all of your components hooked up simultaneously will go a long way to ensuring seamless configuration, performance, and security. It’s also worthwhile to point out that ADT Command, your centralized touchscreen, employs two-way encryption when engaging with with your integrated components.
Design Your Own St. Louis Home Security System
Since you now have more knowledge on how to keep your private network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to get started on your own smart home security system in St. Louis. The security professionals at Secure24 Alarm Systems are here to create the perfect package for your family. Call (314) 274-9817 or fill out the form to take your protection to a new level.